Vancouver Status of Women
is excited to share with you that:
the Leadership Empowerment Activism Program (LEAP)
is now recruiting for participants!
Application Deadline: MAY 15, 2009
POSTER AND FLYER ATTACHED – IF POSSIBLE, PLEASE PRINT & POST!
PROGRAM DETAILS and APPLICATION FORM AVAILABLE at
WHAT DOES PARTICIPATION INVOLVE?
· Participation is FREE and the program will run for 18 months, starting with an orientation for participants on MAY 30, 2009.
· Participants will receive training and mentorship in anti-oppression, community organizing, transformative leadership, popular education, creative expression and group facilitation.
· Participants will practice and improve their skills by designing and delivering their own projects and/or workshops in the community.
· Participants will develop educational resources to share with the wider public.
· Participants will have the opportunity to connect with each other, reflect on their lived experiences and build a holistic community-based vision of social transformation.
· Participants will receive a stipend to support their involvement with the program. Bus tickets, child care, and food will also be provided for all events, meetings and workshops.
· The first step to becoming a LEAP participant is to apply (form attached). Application deadline is FRIDAY, MAY 15, 2009.
WHO CAN APPLY?
The primary purpose of LEAP is to empower women facing systemic barriers (i.e. on the basis of race, class, sexual and gender identity) with tools to transform our realities.
Indigenous women and women of colour are especially encouraged to apply.
We welcome and celebrate trans, two-spirited, and queer-identified folks.
High level of English and previous experience in leadership or activism roles not required for participation.
All LEAP workshops and events will be hosted in wheelchair-accessible spaces and ASL translation will be made available upon request. Please advise us if there are other systemic barriers that may prevent you from accessing this program.
WORKSHOPS OFFERED INCLUDE…Anti-Oppression and Our Theory of Social Change
Identity, Roots & Legacies
Community and Movement Building
Creative, Arts-Based Interventions
Decision-Making & Conflict Transformation
Documentation, Research & Media Skills
Additional workshops open to the public will also be offered on specific topics related to the movement for social justice, and participants will have the opportunity identify issues they would like to explore in more depth.
We are eager to hear ideas from the community about workshops you would like to see LEAP offer. Please do not hesitate to send in your thoughts!
Look out for the LEAP Workshop Series starting JUNE 6, 2009.
Please tell your networks about this program! We want to be as inclusive as possible in our outreach, but our staff capacity is limited. If you can put up our poster or share our flyers, please do so!
If you know of community facilitators/educators who may be interested in getting involved, please refer them to us.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact:
Cynthia Oka, LEAP Coordinator